It can be easier than you think to put the brakes on high auto insurance rates – as an independent agency, Lock Insurance can help! We can review your policy and help you find various illuminating ways to save money.
Here are some things you may want to consider:
- Ask us to check several companies’ rates. This is the most critical thing you can do to get the best possible auto insurance rate—and we can do it for you quickly and easily. The difference between the highest and lowest rate available from different companies could vary by hundreds of dollars.
- Reduce or drop physical damage coverage on an older car. Comprehensive collision coverage may not be worth keeping depending on your car’s age and where you live. We can advise on whether reducing or dropping this coverage altogether makes sense.
- Raise your deductible. According to the Insurance Information Institute, raising your deductible from $200 to $500 could reduce your collision and comprehensive cost by 15 to 30 percent. In addition, because the average driver files a collision claim only once every ten years, the odds are that a higher deductible will save you money over the lifetime of your car. We can show you how raising your deductible will lower your premium.
- Look for discounts. Many insurance companies reduce premiums for certain driver traits or car features. For example, being a homeowner for more than three years, nonsmoker, nondrinker, students with good grades, senior citizens who have taken an approved defensive driving course, people who only drive for pleasure, cars kept in garages, antilock brakes, antitheft devices, airbags, etc. Ask us to check.
- Don’t assume having your car and home insured by the same company is the best option. Because auto insurance rates vary so much from company to company, it may make sense for you to have your car and home insured by separate companies. Let’s talk about it.